A lawsuit alleging that President Donald Trump’s campaign and former Trump adviser Roger Stone conspired with Russia and WikiLeaks to publish hacked Democratic National Committee emails during the 2016 presidential race has been dismissed by a federal judge.
On Tuesday evening, U.S. District Court Judge Ellen Huvelle, an appointee of President Bill Clinton, said in a ruling that the suit’s efforts to tie Donald Trump’s campaign and Roger Stone’s alleged actions to the nation’s capital were too flimsy for the case to proceed in a Washington, D.C., court.
“The Trump Campaign’s efforts to elect President Trump in D.C. are not suit-related contacts for those efforts did not involve acts taken in furtherance of the conspiracies to disseminate emails that harmed plaintiffs,” wrote Huvelle, “Campaign meetings, canvassing voters, and other regular business activities of a political campaign do not constitute activities related to the conspiracies alleged in the complaint.”
Huvelle said her decision was based on issues of legal jurisdiction and was not a definitive ruling on allegations and the court wasn’t in the position to merit their unsubstantiated claims.
“It bears emphasizing that this Court’s ruling is not based on a finding that there was no collusion between defendants and Russia during the 2016 presidential election,” Huvelle wrote. “This is the wrong forum for plaintiffs’ lawsuit. The Court takes no position on the merits of plaintiffs’ claims.”
The suit was filed by two DNC donors, Roy Cockrum and Eric Schoenberg, and former DNC staffer Scott Comer, alleging that the hacking invaded their privacy and made the claim that the Trump campaign and Stone had a role in unlawful activity.
Of course, they provided no proof.
The DNC wasn’t involved in the suit the two donors and the former staffer filed last year. they instead filed their own suit April of this year. The DNC lawsuit filed in federal court in Manhattan accuses the Russian government, Trump’s campaign, Trump’s son Donald Jr., Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner and a few other people of roles in events related to the hacking. The DNC case is still in its early stages.
The Trump resistance group Protect Democracy, which filed the suit dismissed Tuesday, suggested they will refile the case elsewhere.
“While we are disappointed in and respectfully disagree with today’s decision from the District Court to dismiss this case on the grounds that it does not belong in Washington, D.C., this case is far from over,” Protect Democracy’s Ian Bassin said in a statement. ” It is clear that the the Court recognizes that there is sufficient evidence to suggest a conspiracy between the Trump Campaign and the Kremlin, but believes this case belongs in a different court. What today’s decision indicates is that the merits of this case will proceed somewhere.”
It seems filing a lawsuit based on conspiracy theories gets you nowhere.
Who would have thought.
Having problems finding a source for real news links in real time, click on Whatfinger.com. Visit, bookmark and share this resource and then tell your friends and family.