NJ Couple And Homeless Man Conspired To Deceive GoFundMe Funds

NJ Couple And Homeless Man Conspired To Deceive GoFundMe Funds

As everyone knows, the original story was that in November last year, Johnny Bobbitt, who was homeless, gave his last $20 to Kate McClure, a stranded motorist in Philadelphia to help her get gas. To thank him, McClure, 28, and her boyfriend, Mark D’Amico, 39, set up a GoFundMe account to raise funds for Bobbitt. Around 14,000 people donated to the campaign, which brought in more than $400,000.

Now as it turns out, that was all just a ploy. Mark D’Amico, Kate McClure and Johnny Bobbitt will face charges for allegedly providing a false story in order to raise money for themselves, a source familiar with the case told NBC10. 

The charges include conspiracy and theft by deception, according to the source.

A complaint obtained by NBC10 alleges that the three conspired with one another to make up a false story in order to raise more than $400,000.

Investigators say the three deliberately prevented donors for their GoFundMe campaign from gaining information “that would affect their judgment about solicited contribution to that fundraising effort.”

D’Amico and McClure turned themselves in Wednesday to Burlington County prosecutors, the source said. The source did not confirm whether or not Bobbitt turned himself in as well.

A lawyer for the couple had no comment Thursday. NBC10 has also reached out to a lawyer for Bobbitt for comment.

Donations help keep websites like MilneNews online and grow. Any donation is appreciated:





Thank you for your support.

Having problems finding a source for real news links in real time, click on Whatfinger.com. Visit, bookmark and share this resource and then tell your friends and family.

TRENDING RIGHT NOW: