Members of a new caravan of at least 500 migrants told Fox News late Monday that they have begun its journey from a bus station in Honduras to the United States border.
The caravan left the northern city of San Pedro Sula earlier than expected. There was talk on social media that the group was going to leave at 5 a.m. on Tuesday. It is unclear why the group left earlier, but rainy weather could have played a role.
The group consists of a mix of people that included some mothers carrying their young children on their shoulders. Reports say the group will rest in the Honduran city of Quimistan, which is 35 miles from the bus stop, as an early checkpoint.
As they walked, migrants begged local store owners to give them food or water for their journey, according to the Associated Press.
One woman when asked refused to give her name because of safety concerns and told the AP that her 9-year-old daughter had already been raped so badly she suffered medical problems.
The woman said she would ask United States authorities for asylum or refugee status, “because it’s not possible to live in Honduras anymore.”
President Trump last week mentioned the new caravan and said, “we’re trying to break it up,” according to The New York Times.
He said a “drone isn’t going to stop it and a sensor isn’t going to stop it, but you know what’s going to stop it in its tracks? A nice, powerful wall.”
Donations of any amount help us keep stay online and grow. Any donation is appreciated:
Thank you for your support.
Having problems finding a source for real news links in real time, click on Whatfinger.com. Visit, bookmark and share this resource and then tell your friends and family.