Chicago police say Jussie Smollett has been charged with felony disorderly conduct.
On Wednesday, Authorities in Chicago approved felony criminal charges against Jussie Smollett, The decision came just hours after the Empire actor was “officially classified as a suspect in a criminal investigation” for “filing a false police report” in connection with his Jan. 29 attack claims.
Chief of Communications Officer Anthony Guglielmi on Twitter said the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office approved the “Disorderly Conduct / Filing a False Police Report” charges.
“Detectives will make contact with his legal team to negotiate a reasonable surrender for his arrest,” he continued.
So far, Smollet has not surrendered, Chicago police told Fox News. His attorneys were made aware of the charges.
Felony criminal charges have been approved by @CookCountySAO against Jussie Smollett for Disorderly Conduct / Filing a False Police Report. Detectives will make contact with his legal team to negotiate a reasonable surrender for his arrest. pic.twitter.com/LvBSYE2kVj— Anthony Guglielmi (@AJGuglielmi) 21 February 2019
Earlier Wednesday evening, Guglielmi tweeted that detectives on the case were laying out evidence to a grand jury in Cook County.
Smollett’s attorneys Todd Pugh and Victor Henderson released a statement on their client’s behalf.
“Like any other citizen, Mr. Smollett enjoys the presumption of innocence, particularly when there has been an investigation like this one where information, both true and false, has been repeatedly leaked,” the statement said. “Given these circumstances, we intend to conduct a thorough investigation and to mount an aggressive defense.”
If you enjoy what we do here at Milne News, a donation of any amount will help us continue the great work we do. Any donation is greatly appreciated:
Thank you for your support.
Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox for free every day by signing up below.