According to Dutch police, A 37-year-old Turkish man was arrested on Monday, hours after he was identified as the suspect who gunned down three people and wounded several others on a Netherlands tram in a terror attack.
The man identified as Gökmen Tanis, from Turkey, opened fire about 10:45 a.m. local time near 24 Oktoberplein
Tanis was taken into custody during a raid, police in Utrecht said.
Heavily armed anti-terror officers were captured on video earlier gathering in front of an apartment block close to the scene of the initial attack of the tram.
Utrecht Mayor Jan van Zanen initially said nine people were wounded and said three of those injured remain in critical condition on Monday.
“We cannot exclude, even stronger, we assume a terror motive,” van Zanen previously said.
Netherlands Counter-Terrorism Agency head Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg said in a news conference that the gunman opened fire in several locations.
“In Utrecht, there was a shooting at several locations,” Aalbersberg told reporters. “A lot is still unclear at this point and local authorities are working hard to establish all the facts.”
Not many details have been released about the 37-year-old terror suspect since police identified him as the shooter. Dutch prosecutor Rutger Jeuken said in a news conference Tanis had been previously arrested but did not provide further details.
The suspect’s father, Mehmet Tanis, who lives in Turkey’s central Kayseri province, told the private Demiroren news agency that he hadn’t spoken to his son in 11 years. He said, “if he [his son] did it, he should pay the penalty.”
If you enjoy the hard work we put in here at Milne News, a donation of any amount will help us continue the great work we do. Any donation is greatly appreciated:
Thank you for your support.
Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox for free every day by signing up below.