A 44-year-old New Zealand man who shared the video of the Christchurch mosque massacre was sentenced to 21 months in prison on Tuesday.
Philip Arps had previously pleaded guilty to two counts of distributing the live stream video of the mosque shooting, in which a gunmanBrenton Tarrant filmed himself on Facebook killing 51 people at two mosques in March.
Arps allegedly described the video as “awesome,” according to Christchurch District Court Judge Stephen O’Driscoll. The judge said the 44-year-old had strong and unrepentant views about the Muslim community and committed a hate crime.
“Your offending glorifies and encourages the mass murder carried out under the pretext of religious and racial hatred,” the judge said, noting that Arps had compared himself to Rudolf Hess, a Nazi leader under Adolf Hitler.
Arps sent the video of the massacre to around 30 associates, the judge said. He added that Arps also asked somebody to insert crosshairs and include a kill count in order to create an internet meme, although there was no evidence he’d shared the meme.
Arps was facing up to 14 years imprisonment on each count, according to New Zealand laws designed to prevent people from sharing “objectionable material.”
The 44-year-old argued that he had a right to distribute the video under the banner of freedom to pursue his political beliefs. His lawyer, Anselm Williams, said Arps shouldn’t be sent to prison, and that he filed an appeal against his sentence.
“It’s my submission that this court needs to be very careful to sentence Mr. Arps based on what it is that he has actually done, and what he accepts he has done, not on the basis of the views that he holds,” Williams said.
Arps is apparently one of six people who have been charged with sharing the live stream of the mass shooting. New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said sharing of the video is illegal and announced a week later that the country was immediately banning “military-style semi-automatic weapons.”
The prime minister is also helping lead a global pledge title “Christchurch Call” to help keep internet platforms from being used to spread hate, organize extremist groups and broadcast attacks.
Australian Brenton Tarrant, 28, pleaded not guilty last week to 51 counts of murder, 40 counts of attempted murder and one count of terrorism in the mosque shooting case. His trial has been scheduled for next May.
Via: Fox News
HELP US KEEP REPORTING THE TRUTH:
Milne News is committed to bringing you the facts raw, real and truthfully. No BS.
Every contribution, big or small, counts. Help us keep reporting the truth that other media won’t, and bring you what’s really happening in our world. Your contribution will help us continue the great work we do and stay online. Any donation is greatly appreciated:
Paypal accepts: Paypal balance as well as all major credit cards from Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover.
Via Stripe: any kind of credit or debit card: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB, Discover, and Diners Club. (NO SIGN UP REQUIRED)
Thank you for your support.
Also, get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox for free every day by signing up below.
Having problems finding a source for real news links in real time, click on Whatfinger.com. Visit, bookmark and share this resource and then tell your friends and family.