U.S. forces stationed in Afghanistan’s Nangarhar region were reportedly attacked early on Sunday.
According to reports, at least US soldiers were killed and several wounded in the attack.
However, the exact number of casualties is currently not known, and ongoing reports are a mess right now.
What we do know is that the incident occurred late Saturday at a base in Sherzad district, in Nangarhar province, eastern Afghanistan.
“Current reports indicate an individual in an Afghan uniform opened fire on the combined US and Afghan force with a machine gun,” US Forces-Afghanistan spokesman Sonny Leggett said in a statement on Sunday.
The defense ministry said one Afghan soldier was killed and three local security forces injured during the shooting, and added that an investigation had been launched while vowing to continue fighting “terrorism” with the US.
“Incidents such as this fail to have negative effects on the friendship and spirit of cooperation and between the ANDSF and U.S military forces,” the ministry said in a statement.
Provincial governor Shah Mahmood Meyakhil had earlier said it was not immediately clear if the incident was a deliberate act by an “infiltrator” or an accident.
“It was not a clash between the forces. We are investigating,” Meyakhil said.
Leggett also stressed the cause or motive behind the attack were not immediately known.
In a tweet, the US Army’s 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne) said “several” of its soldiers had been killed or injured during combat operations in Afghanistan.
According to Sherzad resident Najeebullah — who goes by one name — gunfire could be heard coming from an Afghan security forces base nearby late Saturday followed by immediate air evacuations.
“We heard the sounds of gunfire and immediately helicopters landed inside the base and evacuated the casualties,” added Najeebullah.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the incident.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid later declined to comment on the incident, saying in a message sent to AFP only that the insurgents were “investigating” the attack.
The deaths come at a sensitive time in the 18-year-old war, with President Donald Trump eager to bring troops home and end the longest conflict in US history.
Afganistan’ın Nangarhar bölgesinde konuşlanmış ABD kuvvetlerine saldırı yapıldı.
Yerel kaynaklara göre, saldırıda 4 ABD askeri öldürüldü, birkaçı da yaralandı. pic.twitter.com/6XLJmtKYuy
— Տ ɑ ѵ ɑ ş A (@SavasA01) February 8, 2020
Official: US Troop Casualties in Afghan Military Mission
American and Afghan military personnel were fired on while conducting an operation in Afghanistan’s eastern Nangarhar province, the U.S. military said Saturday.https://t.co/nGQNUA1thP
— Ren (@Mandalorian_Ren) February 8, 2020
American and Afghan military personnel were fired on while conducting an operation in Afghanistan’s eastern Nangarhar province, the U.S. military said Saturday (via AP) https://t.co/cuU6F8I1y9
— Bloomberg Asia (@BloombergAsia) February 8, 2020
Two US troops killed by Afghan soldier in Nangarhar attack https://t.co/nq1FsaqyLD
— The Lady Red- the night is dark and full of terror (@The_Lady_Red) February 9, 2020
If you enjoy the hard work we put in here at Milne News, a donation of any amount will help us stay online and continue the great work we do. Any donation is greatly appreciated:
Thank you for your support.
Or Via Stripe: any kind of credit or debit card: Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB, Discover, and Diners Club. (NO SIGN UP REQUIRED)
Get the latest news delivered straight to your inbox for free every day by signing up below.