Heavy metal guitarist for the band “Iced Earth” was arrested on Sunday in connection with the U.S. Capitol riot earlier this month, according to the FBI.
Jon Schaffer, a founding member of the heavy metal band, Iced Earth, is facing 6 charges, including engaging in an act of physical violence in a Capitol building, FBI Indianapolis wrote on Twitter.
“Schaffer was allegedly among rioters who sprayed Capitol police with ‘bear spray.'” the FBI wrote.
According to the Indianapolis Star, multiple people had identified Schaffer as a man seen in an image labeled as photograph #25 on an FBI poster seeking help to identify those who made unlawful entry into the building on Jan. 6.
#FBIWFO is seeking the public's assistance in identifying those who made unlawful entry into U.S. Capitol Building on Jan. 6. If you witnessed unlawful violent actions contact the #FBI at 1-800-CALL-FBI or submit photos/videos at https://t.co/NNj84wkNJP. https://t.co/KSUpFHyZZG pic.twitter.com/qS6cW0DX32— FBI Washington Field (@FBIWFO) January 8, 2021
According to the DOJ, the other charges that Schaffer is facing are:
- “Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Building or Grounds Without Lawful Authority”
- “Disrupting the Orderly Conduct of Government Business”
- “Knowingly Engages in an Act of Physical Violence Against any Person or Property in any Restricted Building or Grounds”
- “Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct in a Capitol Building”
- “Parade, Demonstrate, or Picket in a Capitol Building”
Schaffer’s bandmates released a statement on Jan. 9 denouncing the Capitol siege.
“We absolutely DO NOT condone nor do we support riots or the acts of violence that the rioters were involved in on January 6th at the US Capitol building,” wrote Iced Earth bassist, Luke Appleton on Instagram. “We hope that all those involved that day are brought to justice to be investigated and answer for their actions.”