Only people who are vaccinated against COVID-19, or have recovered, will be allowed to go to restaurants, pubs, cinemas, gyms, cultural events, and non-essential shops, according to Reuters, AFP, and the BBC.
Those who are unvaccinated are only permitted to meet two people from another household. The decision comes after a meeting between Chancellor Angela Merkel, her soon-to-be replacement Olaf Scholz, and regional leaders.
Germany will ban unvaccinated people from shops and bars, unless they have recently recovered from Covid or had the jab, and Chancellor Angela Merkel says a nationwide vaccination mandate could be imposed from February 2022.
Outgoing Chancellor Angela Merkel spoke about the news restrictions
“‘Culture and leisure nationwide will be open only to those who have been vaccinated or recovered,’ Merkel says. ‘We have understood that the situation is very serious and that we want to take further measures in addition to those already taken,’ she adds. Merkel also says a nationwide vaccination mandate could be imposed from February 2022, after it’s been debated in parliament.”
What rules is Germany imposing?
Germany has announced sweeping new restrictions for unvaccinated people to curb coronavirus infections.
Chancellor Angela Merkel has described the measures as an “act of national solidarity” in response to a “very serious” situation in Germany.
Some German states already operate so-called 2G policies – which stands for forgenesen (recovered in the past six months) orgeimpft (vaccinated).
Here’s what Merkel announced:
- Unvaccinated people will be limited to meetings with their own household and two other people
- The 2G rule will be enforced at restaurants and cultural venues and non-essential shops
- Clubs will shut in areas where 350 cases have been recorded per 100,000 people in the past seven days – the national rate is more than 400 per 100,000 people
- Up to 30 million vaccinations will be carried out by Christmas – first, second or boosters
- Outdoor events, including Bundesliga football, will have limited crowds of 15,000 and 2G rules
- Fireworks on New Year’s Eve will be banned