An attorney for former New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) said that the Manhattan district attorney’s office notified them that the investigation into the nursing home deaths in New York has closed without charges against Cuomo.
Defense attorney Elkan Abramowitz said in a statement Monday that the elder-care unit of the district attorney’s office said the probe had ended.
“I was told that after a thorough investigation — as we have said all along — there was no evidence to suggest that any laws were broken,” said Abramowitz, who represents Cuomo’s administration.
Cuomo had ordered that people infected with coronavirus be sent to nursing homes for care in March 2020 at the peak of the pandemic in New York despite the major risk for severe illness among the elderly. More than ten thousand nursing home patients died from covid-19 complications after the order. He later rescinded the policy in May.
When Governor Cuomo was criticized for the nursing home deaths, he denied that he had any culpability and instead blamed nursing home workers.
“COVID did not get into the nursing homes by people coming from hospitals,” Cuomo said in a media briefing in Feb. 2020. “COVID got into the nursing homes by staff walking into the nursing home when they didn’t know they had COVID.”
In February 2021, a top aide to Governor Andrew Cuomo revealed that his administration purposely hid damaging information relating to the nursing home deaths after then-President Donald Trump criticized them and accused them of being responsible for the deaths.
Later in April 2021 a report in the New York Times said that the administration had covered up the scandal even further than had been previously known.
In August, Cuomo resigned from the governor’s office in disgrace over numerous accusations related to sexual harassment and assault. He has claimed that his interactions were misunderstood while denying the worst of the allegations.